Westhill - Sword Coast - Faerûn

Westhill is a rapidly growing frontier mining hamlet, its growth driven by the recently reopened Phandalin Mine and the nearby mineral-rich Star Mountains.  Generally as accepting and cosmopolitan as the larger cities of the Sword Coast and the North, you can find representatives of nearly every “civilized” race.

History

More than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver’s Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wondrous cavern known as Phandalin Cave. In addition to its mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge (called the Forge of Spells), where magic items could be crafted.

Times were good, and the minor noble Tresendar family founded the nearby human town of Westhill.  One notable member of the Tresendar family was Sir Aldith Tresendar, who was also known as the “Black Hawk”.  Aldith carried with him their famous family longsword: inscribed with the name “Talon,” the hilt of the blade was shaped into a majestic bird with its wings stretched out wide, and housed in a silver-chased scabbard.

But disaster struck when the orcs of Uruth Ukrypt swept through the North and laid waste to all in their path in 951 DR. This powerful force, reinforced by evil mercenary wizards, attacked Phandalin Mine to seize its riches and magic treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the Forge of Spells, and the ensuing spell battle destroyed much of the cavern.

Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of Phandalin Mine was lost.  Sir Aldith died unsuccessfully defending Tresendar Manor against the horde, and the whole town of Westhill was abandoned during that time.  For centuries, rumors of buried riches have attracted treasure seekers and opportunists to the area around Westhill, but no one has ever succeeded in locating the lost mine.

In the late 15th century, people began resettled the area, drawn by the prospects of untapped wealth. Like any village in the North, they struggled with goblinoids of the Cragmaw tribe and bands of orcs on the High Road and Triboar Trail. In the summer of 1490, a group of ruffians calling themselves the Redbrands began harassing and extorting the businesses, under the leadership of a wizard calling himself the Glasstaff.  When the Rockseeker brothers discovered the long lost Phandalin Mine, our story began…

Government

Since the departure of the last townmaster, Harbin Wester, in early 1491 DR, Westhill has been governed by an elected town council. Current council members include Gundren Rockseeker, Halia Thornton, and Daran Edermath. Whether the town continues to utilize a council for governance, or reelects a townmaster, will be decided during the next elections on Shieldmeet, this year (1492 DR).

Westhill: 1492 Large | 1492 Medium | 1491-1492 Expansion

People & Locations

Alderleaf Farm
A simple farm that is run by a wise middle-aged female halfling named Qelline Alderleaf. She has been able to grow her farm with the expanding town, and provides most of the fresh goods for the Stonehill Inn.
Barthen’s Provisions
The biggest trading post in Westhill, staying open from sunup to sundown. It is run by a lean and balding human male of fifty years with a kindly manner named Elmar Barthen. When Harbin Wester abandoned his post as Townmaster shortly after Phandalin Mine was rediscovered, Elmar was considered a front-runner for a spot on the council.  He wisely chose to bow out of the race so that he could focus on growing his business, which has not only grown, but now expanded to include stables.
Drendar’s Woordcrafts
While not the carpenter that her husband was, Mirna Drendar has continued the work that she did with him before by creating finely crafted pieces of furniture.
Edermath Orchard
An orchard field with a simple cottage of a silver-haired half-elf named Daran Edermath. Daran is a retired marshal in the lands of the Dragon Coast. When he retired, he returned to the Neverwinter Woods region, which was his original home. After Harbin Wester left town, Daran was elected to the Town Council, along with Halia and Gundren.
The Giant’s Awakening
After the Sleeping Giant tavern burned down, the building was purchased and renovated by a goliath by the name of Bearkiller.  Humans are the minority at this bar.
Lionshield Coster
A weapons and armor supplier owned by the Lionshield Coster. The master of this post is a sharp-tongued human woman of thirty-five named Linene Graywind. She is not happy to have competition in this market now that the Phandalin Mine has reopened.
Metalworks
Hardek Rockseeker runs the town blacksmith’s shop. He settled here a few years ago, and sent word of the lost Phandalin Mine to his clansman, Gundren. He is now the official town store for goods produced in the Mine.
Phandalin Miner’s Exchange
A trading post where miners have their finds weighed and paid out. The exchange is run by an ambitious human woman named Halia Thornton. Halia was instrumental in financing and staffing the reconstruction of Phandalin Mine, and has served on the Town Council since Harbin Wester left town.
Shrine of Luck
Originally a small shrine made of stone from local ruins, Westhill’s only center of worship is dedicated to Tymora. It is in the care of a zealous young elf, Sister Garaele, who is working to build a larger, more permanent building with funding provided by Thaminor.
Smell the Flours
This small bakery recently opened, looking to capitalize on the exploding population. It is run by a female gnome named Minkep, originally from Hundelstone.
Stonehill Inn
A modest inn that is run by a short, friendly young human male named Toblen Stonehill. Toblen came from Triboar, seeking the opportunity in prospecting like many others. He soon found that he knew more about running an inn than mining, and so he established the inn. One of the first to be welcoming to our party when they arrived, Toblen has expanded from a single structure and now also rents out rooms from a couple recently rebuilt buildings.
Townmaster’s Hall
A small building that works as the town’s council building and constable’s office. The current constable is Sir Garad Thann, an emissary of the Lords’ Alliance. It also houses a small but serviceable jail in the cellar.
Tresendar Manor
This was an ancient building that was abandoned after the orc raids in 951 DR. The cellars once served as a safe haven when the estate was attacked, and as a resting place for the deceased members of the Tresendar Family.  More recently, the cellars were turned into the hideout of the Redbrands until cleared by our party.  Today, the Manor has been restored to its former glory: the upper levels are living quarters for Elsa and our party, and the basement now houses the barracks for the Tresendar Talons.